Saturday, November 27, 2021

Retrospective on writing

I started to edit my old posts. I was surprised to find how badly they were written.

My writing started to change noticeably about ten years ago.

In 2012 I bought a text editor called iA Writer. It has standard grammar check but it is also capable of catching cliches, excessive use of adjectives and adverbs, fillers.

Books that had big influence in my writing in decades since 2000s:

- Truman Capote's In Cold Blood, 

- On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft by Stephen King, 

- Stephen King's The Shining,

- Colm Toibin's The Heather Blazing and House of Names. 

Reading bad books, and crime novels helped too.

My vocabulary is still weak (it will never reach to the level of an English born), but in modern English lean prose is more important and I might probably get by.  

No comments: