Monday, December 27, 2010

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

Great deal of my generation’s adolescence was spent watching spaghetti westerns. My all time favorite was Sergio Leone’s The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.


I watched this film in 70’s, who knows how many times. The duel scene in the end was one of the most memorable scenes I’ve always adored, almost engraved into my mind, the infinite graveyard landscape, the heat, the tension between Clint Eastwood, Lee Van Cleeff, and Eli Vallach, sublime photography and of course Ennio Morricone’s unforgettable score.

At the time every boy in our neighborhood walked like Client Eastwood, talked like him, sometimes with a piece of fake cigar sticking out our mouth.. It was the coolest thing.

Almost forty years later I found a DVD in a local supermarket, thrown into a big basket. I became an eleven year old again. I bought it, rushed home and watched in excitement .




I was curious and wondered how much I would remember. I found that I don’t recall certain scenes accurately, the faces and plot didn’t fit exactly. For instance I didn’t remember war scenes at all.

Our remembering self plays a game with experiencing self. Throughout our life we experience much more than we can remember. Predominantly remembering self defines who we are.

We are what we remember. In the end the scenes chosen by the remembering self survive and give way to other thoughts, memes and ideas. Dead ends and dull become dead, truly.

I am glad that the ending of The Good, the Bad and the Ugly is what I was given by my remembering self. Good choice.

No comments: